Zebra crossings are supposed to mean no matter what, the car will let you go first (compulsory in western countries).
However, here in Singapore, it is safer to let the car go first.
Yes, that defeats the purpose of a zebra crossing.
Well...Sometimes, cars may not stop at zebra crossings, be it the driver not paying full attention or drunk (yes, there are assholes who drink in the day) and rushing for time.
Some drivers see crossings as places to compete with pedestrians over who gets to cross first.
There are drivers who don't see pedestrians until it is too late.
Isn't it a mutual obligation (To stop at zebra crossing, as long as there is a pedestrian standing there) you have to fufil when you get your car license? Didn't your driving instructor teach you that???
All drivers are supposed to stop at the zebra crossing.
Even if the pedestrian stops for the driver, the driver is not suppose to drive past!
Pedestrians have the right of way at zebra crossings!
I just told a parent off this afternoon. Yes...a parent of one of the students in my school.
I was infuriated!
I stopped at the zebra crossing, waited for the school bus to stop before I started crossing.
Then...
A car sped pass, right in front of me. License Plate: 4101
A therapist saw it and pointed it out. (Referring to what he and another therapist had experienced before and an email I sent out.)

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/singaporeseen/viewContent.jsp?id=32476
I was filled with anger and confronted the male driver.
It was 12.35pm and his child walked towards the car with their maid. (I was too angry to take note which programme the kid was from.)
Yes, I know you are late picking your kid up, but hey...have you though about other kids who would have been crossing and could have been knocked down by you?
Me: Excuse Me! Do you know that is a zebra crossing????
Inconsiderate driver: (Act Blur)
Me: That is a zebra crossing and you sped through! How can you speed through the zebra crossing???
Inconsiderate driver: (Smiled) I did not see...
Me: (cutting him off) You should not be speeding at all! Terrible!!!
Without hearing further explanation, I walked off.
I don't care whether you see me or not, why you were rushing...
You are supposed to slow down at the school zone! And when you are approaching a zebra crossing!
I am an adult and you can't even see me???
What if it was a child???
Are you going to knock the child down then say "I didn't see you"???
You are a father!
What if your child was being knocked down???At the Zebra crossing???
Because a car chose to speed up at the zebra crossing.
Maybe LTA should install a camera at the zebra crossing.
Or maybe a huge banner that reads "ZEBRA CROSSING, SLOW DOWN" should be hung,
Since the School Zone sign does not prove to be that effective.
And how some inconsiderate people have the cheek to park on a zebra crossing:

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/singaporeseen/viewContent.jsp?id=34747
A pedestrian crossing is a structured ethical fact where the dominant (the drivers) are required by law to yield to the weak (pedestrians).
If you can't fufil the responsibilities of a driver by abiding simpe, idiot-proof traffic rules, then bloody hell don't drive.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home